Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Today is Adam and I’s 4 year anniversary. We were just talking last night about what all can happen in just 4 years! Here is a recap:

1.We survived being apart the first 8 weeks of our marriage while Adam did internship #1 in St. Louis and I was working in Columbia. We literally got married, left on our honeymoon for one week, returned to our parent’s house for one night to move apart for eight weeks. We did see each other during that eight weeks but usually only on the weekends. Adam moved back to Columbia after it was over for two months only to move back to St. Louis for a second internship that this time lasted 10 weeks! It was extremely sad and difficult to be apart at the beginning of our marriage and when I look back on that now I still feel sad! I am glad that part is over! I hope we never have to live apart again. We are both still weird about going somewhere without the other person for more than one night. I think that initial period of being separated scared us for life! Maybe after a few more years of being married we will be ready for a vacation from each other! Adam is probably reading this and thinking he is ready for one now!

2. We moved three times in four years. First to a bigger apartment, then to St. Louis, and finally to our house. I think frequent moves are the key to staying organized. If you move every 12-18 months you are always getting rid of stuff and regrouping. We have now been in our house for one year and I can see the need for some regrouping and organization. Things are starting to get messy. I think I will just redo the closets and drawers as opposed to moving again.

3. We built (or had built) our first house. Though we did not do any of the construction ourselves, we did have a lot of decisions to make which was stressful enough. We did however (in the middle of tax season – are we nuts?) finish our basement. We did all the painting, insulation, hanging doors, and cleanup ourselves. This was a big step for both of us since this was way out of our skills area!

4. We both sold our beloved cars from college and switched to more family friendly autos. Adam let go of Old Hickory (a 1999 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer that was completely unreliable but Adam still swears is one of the nicest cars on the road “back in its day”) and I traded in my mustang for a Honda Odyssey. Yes we are still in our mid 20’s and driving a minivan but I wouldn’t want anything else. That thing is so roomy! Adam likes it too though he is still embarrassed to ever drive it to work or let his friends know!

5. And most importantly, we had our baby girl Emma. She is without a doubt the best part of our lives. It is such an awesome thing to have a family of your own. We also are 9 weeks away from our second baby girl (another tax season baby!)

When Adam and I started dating in college seven years ago, I could never have imagined then what my life would be like today. GOD HAD HIS HAND ON MY LIFE! I know my parents and family prayed for me to meet someone just like Adam from the time I was born and he was definitely an answer to all of those prayers. He has the kindest heart, the most selfless attitude, and a great work ethic. He has a heart for God which was and is the most important quality to me (even at times when I didn’t think that was the most important quality in a husband, God knew it was and always reminded me). I love that when I tell Adam something that is really bothering me, he always makes an effort to fix the problem, whether it be with him or anything/anyone else. He also has a way of keeping me in line when I get crazy! He really is my better half! And, last but not least, I love watching Adam with Emma. Sometimes it just melts my heart. He always makes time for her and helps out with her. I would be embarrassed to say everything Adam does around the house and with Emma out of fear that it would make me look lazy!

Happy Anniversary Adam. I am praying that our girls will one day marry someone as special as their daddy!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to one of my dearest friends. I will always remember your wedding and how beautiful it was. I always remember because it was the first "big" thing Brandon and I did as a couple. Boy if that didn't scare him off after 4 weeks of dating, nothing will. Hope you have a wonderful new year. Miss you. Hugs to you and Em and the belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...four years already!? What a sweet post Jen! I loved reading this from your perspective. I'm glad you were the girl for Adam. I just love you and couldn't have hand picked a better sister-in-law. I'm so glad you two are happy...love you both and hope you enjoyed your anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete

Christmas Card Photos